View Single Post
Old 30-10-18, 06:40 AM   #10
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suzuki X5 long term project

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Well done Col, this is looking really good already.
Cheers Gary
Front brake lever was the next on the agenda. I ordered a new seal kit, stripped the master cylinder, cleaned it & rebuilt it.

Another part that was missing was the headlamp, so ordered one off Ebay, it's a pattern 7" unit which looks identical to the original, but has the benefit of an H4 fitting, so It'll be a lot brighter if I ever ride it at night (which I doubt).

I cleaned up the sprocket drive & rear brake cover & fitted those to the rear wheel, then onto the bike. I'm trying not to polish things too much as I want the bike to be as close to standard as possible.

The single front disc was looking a bit sad, so I cleaned the surface rust with fine wire wool, then painted the centre black. I've used the original bolts to fix it to the front wheel, but will buy some genuine ones once I fit the tyres. The front caliper was a bit more involved, so I'll leave that for another day.

So, we now have a rolling chassis, I brought her out into the yard to get a couple of decent pictures of the progress. I used to have a cheap Chinese phone, so apologies for the quality of the pictures so far.

Cleaned the 2 stroke oil container as best as I could, but it still has a red tint to it, so will have to do. I'm going to run the bike on premix anyway, so it's surplus to requirements anyway.

Next to get the treatment was the wiring harness. Both of the ones I had were in quite a bad way & I did think about re wiring the whole bike from scratch, but opted to strip the best of the 2 down & recover it with non adhesive tape & fix any problems as I went. I hate electrics, but it has to be done.

Wednesday morning & the postman came knocking...... Ooh, barrels & pistons have been returned from Grampian. I was like a 4 year old at Christmas with bits of cardboard & paper being excitedly ripped apart to see what sort of job they had done. I wasn't disappointed, I would certainly recommend them to anybody. The barrels have been honed to perfection & the pistons look gorgeous, so time to go & fit them with my newly purchased gasket set.

I also stripped one of the 3 sets of carbs down, threw them in my ultrasonic cleaner to get them as clean as possible & get rid of any old petrol that might be blocking any channels. So, we are ready for an engine rebuild

This is where I encountered another problem. I have 4 crankshafts, 3 of which have a noisy centre bearing, so chose number 4. The problem was that this one would only turn 180 degrees then tighten up. I was trying to see what the problem was & could only think that the crank was bent. I tried it in another crankcase with the same problem, so I was now in a quandry as I wanted to see if the engine would run. I chose the best crank of the other 3 & continued with the rebuild. The nice thing with 2 strokes is that it only takes about an hour to remove & strip an engine, so I'll send the crank to Grampian for a rebuild later.

I fitted new side decals to the engine, then the airbox & the rusty silencers.
It's time to see if the old girl fires into life. I checked the coils, we had a spark, so fitted the tank, poured in some 2 stroke & used an old kickstart & after the 4th kcik, she fired into life! She sounds nice, but needs the carbs setting up, which will be done when I rebuild the motor again. At least I know that I have a runner, I'm like a pig in muck.
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by mister c; 30-10-18 at 06:41 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote