View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 08:53 AM   #27
Othen

Default 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
The B100P looks good! You've saved it and got it running again, that's the important thing. I passed my bike test in 1981 on an identical model (even the same colour).

I think I only ever saw 65 on the clock once, on the legendary Beeford straight in East Yorkshire (on the A1079 to Bridlington) so if you can see 60 on the speedo, it's fine They never had much power, and the delivery is like an MZ, just rev it through the gears until it goes flat then change up. As mentioned elsewhere, abusing the silencer with mallets, plumber's tubing and old bowden cables fixed in a drill chuck will ensure it's giving all of its mighty 10 (claimed) BHP.

Thank you for that Craig. I never rode a Bloop back in the day, so it is helpful to know that 65 MPH was about the maximum speed. The other factor is that I’m 6’2” and 90KG - which probably accounts for the missing 5 MPH!

I’m pretty pleased with the Bloop, it was far too good to scrap and is saved. I even like the oily rag finish and don’t mind the little faults it has (like the pilot jet screw, the little cover over the carburettor missing and the pop riveted plate over the hole in the black painted muffler). In many ways those little foibles add to rather than detract from the bike - it is like someone’s dad just parked it outside after commuting to his job at the shoe factory in Kettering and left it there. It even has a 1986 tax disk on it in the original (rusty) holder.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 08:56 AM.