View Single Post
Old 27-08-08, 08:58 AM   #1
sweepdoggydog

Default Converting a road bike

Hi,

Following my last post, I'm hoping to start racing in the Bemsee Minitwins league next season and I'm looking to buy a bike at the moment. In order to keep the costs to a minimum the bike will have to serve as a road bike as well as the race bike.

At the moment I have around £2000 to spend on a bike, I’m thinking of buying regular (pointy) SV road bike with the aim of converting it into a race bike over the next six months or so using money saved up over those months as I dont have all the money now. Is this a sensible idea and how much is it likely to cost to convert a road bike into race bike? I’m guessing the main components of a minitwins race bike are firstly the suspension, then a full exhaust system and also the race fairings and WOW’s. Would a bike with just the suspension modified potentially be competitive? And how much is it likely to cost sort out the suspension, about £1-1.5k?

I understand that it would probably be cheaper to buy an already set up race bike, but I really need a road bike asap so I think buying a road bike and converting it the only real option available, so If anyone has a pointy/injection model for sale I may be interested, (if the bike already comes with suspension modification a may be able to stretch the budget).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Will