View Single Post
Old 20-07-20, 06:46 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: 110 miles on MT09SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
No, I don't think so. The standard MT09 had developed a reputation for poor suspension even after Yamaha had tweaked it a bit. In fitting "up market" forks and rear shock it aimed to overcome that reputation.

It seems to me that the OP is expecting his bike to do something it was never designed to do.... The suspension on the MT09 was never intended to provide a plush ride. Yamaha produced a bike with an awesome engine wrapped in a capable chassis that was very much intended to be an urban weapon bought by those wanting to have a bit of fun, and they gave it what they considered adequate suspension for that purpose. The bike proved very popular and when riders capable of exposing the flaws in that rather budget suspension started buying it they were quick to offer an Ohlins kit as a factory accessory, and that has basically evolved into the SP model, so yes you have the bike aimed at the sportier rider......

The rear SP shock spring is actually softer than the standard MT09 one but it is controlled with infinitely better damping and that should allow you to soften it off somewhat, but you will do so at the expense of control. The front is going to be slightly harder to get how you want it as the MT09 has always had a rather vague front end. If you were to change the springs and take out all the damping to try and give the ride you want then I think you'll have a bike bordering on dangerous should you go into a fast bumpy bend a little enthusiastically....

Are you really sure this is the bike for you?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote