View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 10:46 AM   #1
missyburd

Default 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

So they're wanting to cut the current teacher training course of 1 year down to 6 months in a bid to tempt more people into the profession...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7933690.stm

First question, would you be tempted given the current worries about finding jobs?

Second question, as a parent would you be happy having your children taught by someone who's only been in the business 6 months, would you consider them properly qualified? Or would it not bother you as long as they got the syllabus across and got your child through school...?

My mother has a BEd *Bachelor of Education* and studied for 3 years in order to become a teacher (back in the day when that was the requirement) and she's worked with colleagues who are fresh out of teacher training and has been quite frankly appalled by the standard and quality (or lack of) of their teaching.

Is teaching even a serious career option anymore if you're able to just walk in and take it up?

Disclaimer: Please note I am not saying EVERYONE who has a PGCE dewberry is incapable as a teacher, I am well aware there are teachers on here