View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 11:17 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

I've just asked Matt what his dad would think of this. He took early retirement from teaching physics and maths in a private school two years ago, partially as he didn't always agree with the education system.

I'd imagine my dad would say ''It would be a disgrace''
Alternatively my son is in year two. I went to parents evening last week. Most parents are concerned about the way the teacher teaches. Shs a supply teacher, who has given up her other commitments at other schools to solely teach my sons class. The proper teacher has been off sick since October. Mrs.S believes in continuity and says shes only supposed to be here until Easter, but still thinks she should risk staying rather than the class be uprooted. There are 22 boys and 6 girls and they can all be a right handful. Some of the boys are on bad behaviour programmes, and are disruptive....but she still plods along. Shes strict, a single parent and gives the education she believes is right. Most of the other parents don't like the way she teaches...perhaps their golden children need a stern hand. I like her and am behind someone who is dedicated to proper teaching. Between the teachers in previous years, and this one, and my input my son has the reading ability of a nine year old(hes seven) his literacy and numeracy skills are two levels above the class average, and year average as a whole.
I believe if someone can give a skills and can teach properly in comparison to some of the current teachers, so be it. Its a little concerning wether they can take all the skills on board in such a short time, but remember the people that would be selected would initiallly be probably heavily skilled in their usual field. If Im Indoors would take the option I would be behind him, as he has a good skill in his field, but is finding work difficult to find after graduating(even though he has experience)...but from what his dad says about the way things are taught these days, its put him off for life!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-03-09 at 11:19 AM. Reason: naff speeeeellllling!
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote