View Single Post
Old 25-03-14, 10:57 PM   #1
sputnik

Default valve clearance/service/leakdown question

OK peeps. As always, excuse my ignorance and be gentle with me. Bike is booked in for 32k service. A valve clearance check is usually part of this - agreed. The chosen garage has a standard flat(ish) rate major service option that includes a compression and leakdown test. Getting the clearances checked would be an additional cost. Garage blokey reckoned the above included tests would give a sufficiently good idea of whether there were any significant valve issues that warranted further inspection and, if necessary, a specific clearance check could subsequently be booked.

I'd welcome your views as to whether you reckon the full clearance check is necessary or if the compression and leakdown tests are enough as a reliable indicator?

Further salient points: my budget is not unlimited(!), the workshop in question is a main Suzuki dealership with a generally good reputation, and the bike has not displayed any symptoms that might suggest valve issues.oh, and (almost certainly completely irrelevantly) valves were reportedly checked and fine at the 16k service less than 18 months ago.

Oh, bike is a 2010 plate pointy with a tad over 32k on the clock.

Last edited by sputnik; 25-03-14 at 10:59 PM. Reason: miised details
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote