View Single Post
Old 16-10-07, 10:11 AM   #32
Ceri JC

Default Re: Advanced riding – braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
BUT! If you never ever brake in a corner, if you ever find yourself in a position where you have to brake in a corner, it will be the first time you ever do it and so it's far more likely that you'll crash. So I reckon a policy of total avoidance could rob you of skills that could make the difference between crashing and not crashing.
My view entirely. I am genuinely amazed at how many people claim never to brake in corners. Certainly, it's not something to try and do all the time on normal rides, but as a skill, it's essential. It's one of those things like when people claim, "I never use the back brake, at all". I don't really believe them, I just suspect that actually they do it unconciously, otherwise they'd be crashing all the time?

Edit: Oh yes and relying on good obs to be able to say, "I'll never need to brake round a bend." Isn't particularly bright IMO. What about cars pulling out of hidden side junctions on corners you've never ridden etc. vehicle in front (even a long way off) stands up on the brakes on a long sweeping bend etc.? I think you shouldn't plan to be trail braking into bends and should go in at the right speed, but when one of those "no way of seeing that" moments happen, you need to be able to do it.

Last edited by Ceri JC; 16-10-07 at 10:21 AM.