View Single Post
Old 16-10-07, 11:47 AM   #34
Ceri JC

Default Re: Advanced riding – braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Ideally you will have spotted a road sign in your foward obs (assuming it was there) so hopefull should already be prepared for this scenario.)
I've had a 4x4 seemingly pull out from a hedge into my path. There was no sign and the angle of approach to the LH bend meant it wasn't visible (unless your observation allows xray vision ). Cars coming the other way, so braking on the bend was the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
This has happened to me a couple of times - it wasnt a disaster because I was already expecting the unexpected (I do tend to err well on the side of caution most of the time!) I automatically throttled off and stood the bike up as much as possible before braking. (had brown trouser moment though!)
Thing is, throttling off on an SV is effectively braking, albeit using the back brake. If you can't brake round a bend, surely the only way to ride safely is to be able to coast to a stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Even with the SVs engine braking this is a loooooong way at 60mph, compared to how quickly you can stop when braking round a bend without highsiding it. I wonder if those who can't brake round bends really do leave adequate stopping distance to deal with this?

Out of interest, is this such a controversial subject because people who can't brake round bends nearly crash into the back of those who can? Twice I've had other bikers confront me about this (and neither time was comfort braking- it was neccessary) and they don't seem to feel the usual rule of "you rear end someone, your fault" applies when going round bends for some reason.

Last edited by Ceri JC; 16-10-07 at 02:09 PM.