View Single Post
Old 09-02-14, 04:06 PM   #30
Lozzo

Default Re: Buying a CAT D vehicle

Whether you insure fully comp or not is up to you. It all depends on the value and how much you are prepared to lose. If you trash the car through you own fault are you wealthy enough to lose the total value of it as decided by an insurance engineer? That car could still be worth 4 or 5 grand in their eyes, even if a straight unrecorded one is valued at 10 grand.

One thing I would say, avoid anything with a Q plate, regardless of whether you know its history or not. You'll have trouble insuring it as few companies will insure them and you'll most likely only get third party only cover. I recently bought a 1988 Yamaha TDR250 on a Q plate and its value is £750 maximum. If it gets damaged by a third party it's going to a breakers or I'll never be able to insure it again with a Q plate and a Cat D or C against it. It's easier and cheaper for me to buy a frame with V5 and swap all the bits onto that frame, because for £250 outlay and a couple of day's work I can then insure it fully comp and its value rises to over £2500 purely because it has an E registration not a Q.