View Single Post
Old 10-12-18, 08:37 PM   #402
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
I hope you are feeling better.
Thanks Martin. I do actually, still a bit chesty, but much better.

Made it out for a run in the new shoes this morning. A mix of small lanes and trails, but no Garmin/Strava log I'm afraid. Left the Garmin switched on all week as I forgot to turn it off after I last used it and the battery was flat when I came to put it on this morning.
Started my run by running up to a friends house about a mile and a half away (and almost all uphill!) to let her poultry out as she was away. From there it was back down a parallel lane and then through a favourite piece of woodland and another shortish woodland trail by the river. Back up to the lane leading home from there and returning to the village. About 4.5 miles in all I think.

The shoes were very good. On tarmac (which they're really not designed for) I was aware vaguely through the sole of the pressure from the lugs on the outsole, but it wasn't uncomfortable and really only noticeable when I focussed on it. On a couple of bits of very smooth, shiny tarmac, there was a certain amount of suction from the lugs but a soon as I moved back onto the rougher surface it disappeared. On the trails and in the mud, they were excellent, giving good grip during both forward and lateral movement, and allowing me to push on through slippery conditions with confidence.
While not waterproof, they didn't instantly fill with water when I ran through wet conditions or puddles. They also seem to shrug off the mud somehow, needing only a quick rinse off under the tap when I got home. The foam insoles come out allowing them to be rinsed out separately.
All round, a good, comfortable, and very effective pair off shoes. I'll see how they fare over the winter.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote