View Single Post
Old 21-07-18, 12:09 PM   #80
daktulos

Default Re: Erratic ignition now no power, no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow650Loz View Post
If you increase the resistance in a circuit the voltage will drop. This isn't a textbook mate, the drop in voltage will cause a higher current draw.
I'm not sure where you've got this from, if the voltage across a (relatively) fixed resistance load drops, the current will also drop.

With a corroded connection, it's effectively an additional load in the circuit. Because of this, there's a voltage drop across it and therefore power consumed which must be dissipated as heat.

The easiest way to diagnose a problem is to check the voltages between the battery, R/R and load and either side of connectors between. In a perfect world they should all be the same. If there's a significant difference between any two, then your problem will be between the two points. The Haynes manual (if I remember correctly) gives acceptable voltage differences.

The same applies to the earth. A garage once needlessly replaced the starter motor on my car because they swore it was dead as they could see a voltage on it. It turned out that the earth bonding was shot and it was just the clutch cable providing a path back to the battery -ve.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote