View Single Post
Old 08-09-17, 09:40 AM   #235
rabbit8dude

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

I looked at the model you posted a bit closer and can see your rationale a bit more.
You've planned ahead to use an off the shelf shock to suit the SV so a backup strategy is a smart move.

Unsprung weight as you probably know is the mass not supported by the springs. It's the mass that has to move up and down to follow the road contour.
The lighter this mass the less inertia and the more responsive the suspension can be.
Not all the swingarm will be unsprung mass the same as not all your suspension system will be either so with carefull design it probably won't be as detrimental as I first thought.

I also had a look at my SV and I can see that a transversely mounted shock would have to be quite short and a bespoke item. So your plan is good in that respect.

You are probably still working out the details but what are you going to do to the frame to pivot the linkage? It appears
you currently have it pivoting on the r/h lower subframe lug of the stock frame.
Is the whole subframe going to be braced to spread the load over all four mounts? Or are you going to weld a beefier lug to the frame?

And last question, are you doing any finite element analysis?

Anyway crack on. This makes a refreshing change from "I just fitted some LED blinkers and now they don't work" type of threads😁

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
rabbit8dude is offline   Reply With Quote