View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 08:32 AM   #18
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oh no, not again (speeding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I'm afraid that isn't a rule, it's a guideline. I did a SAC about 18 months ago. At the start they read out how much we were each over the limit. I was in a class with people who got done doing 33 in a 30 and 77 on the M25.

Essex police are strict and said that the 10% + 2 is a myth. They can enforce the speed limit. And they don't have to offer you a course, even if your licence has previously been clean for years.

My misdemeanor was doing 37 through the Blackwell tunnel in the car. It's 40 either side, drops to 30 in the tunnel and I was going at the same speed as everyone else so I suspect a lot of people get caught out. I now don't assume I can add a few miles on to allow for my speedo plus extra percentages.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Well the speed awareness course I did, with an ex copper of 50 years who now spends his life teaching these courses, said it wasn't a myth.

So I guess we'll never know.

And tbh...I don't care. I accidentally broke the speed limit as I genuinely had no idea it was a 20 zone, and I sure won't do it again - so the course has worked and was a positive eye opener. I think it should be part of the driving/riding test to be put through one of these courses - there's insight there that is way beyond what gets taught in either a theory or lessons leading up to a practical.