View Single Post
Old 21-02-24, 11:21 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Gearbox question

There is a thread on the US forum about a 2023 SV being stuck in neutral "sometimes".
The OP asked if this was normal and he also mentioned that he demonstrated the issue to the dealer. The bike is under warranty. The dealer adjusted the clutch which didn't help. (the Gen3 doesn't have the worm drive clutch actuator like pre-Gladius models btw)

https://www.svrider.com/threads/2023...etimes.402082/

Nobody answered so I posted that it was not normal, the SV gearbox is the best I have owned in all my years of riding. I will admit that once in a blue moon in a leap year with high sun spot activity (!) I might have to release the clutch lever, pull it back in and retry selecting 1st gear but this is so rare that I cannot remember the last time it happened. Certainly I couldn't demonstrate it to a dealer. I recommended he made a warranty claim.

It seems my experience is not usual and it's not uncommon for some to have to roll the bike forward to get 1st. Also, you should never select neutral when you're still rolling (there's an explanation why) but I do it a lot if the traffic light is red and there are several cars in front. No issues encountered with that so far (50+ years). So, if you want 1st you must select it whilst still rolling (and presumably sit there with the clutch lever held in), this was the biggest b/s I think I've heard. I've been wrong before so I held my peace.

What's your experience? Any bike, doesn't necessarily have to be an SV.