View Single Post
Old 21-03-06, 11:32 AM   #4
Jelster

Default Re: Advice about the ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipstix
Can anyone recommend an interesting route from the end of the Route Napoleon at Grenoble to Calais?
Depending on how much time you have:

Long way:
(day 1) Grenoble - Annecy - Chamonix
(day 2) Aoste (Italy) - Grand St Bernard Pass - round top of Lake Geneva - Ste Croix - Pontarlier
(day 3) Pontarlier - D437 to Maīche (wonderful road) Pick up N83 to Colmar for lunch and go over the D417 (Munster to Geradmer - one of the best roads in Europe) and on to Nancy
(day 4) Nancy - Verdun - Montcornet - Cambrai - Autoroute to Calais

Shorter way
(day 1) Grenoble - Bourg-en-Bresse - Besancon - Versoul - Chaumont
(day 2) Chaumont - St Dizier - Reims - Laon - St Quentin - Autoroute to Calais

Quote:
What's the cheapest way of getting the ferry tickets? I thought RiDE magazine used to have a P&O promotional code but can't find one anywhere. Otherwise a good ferry booking website suggestion would be appreciated.
Look at the web prices, then phone the opperator and tell them you were have difficulty over the web, you'll get web rates. Have you considered the overnight Motorail from Calais to Perpignan ?? That will get you down to the Pyrenees overnight, with a few days to ride around.

Quote:
I could also do with a good recommendation for a guide book to motorbike tours in Europe, if anyone has any ideas?
Get a map, look at a road and say "lets do it". Just plan your route around places and roads you want to ride. I plan all my Euro trips that way. If there is only a couple of you, you can get away without pre booking hotels too, which is much easier.

Have fun