View Single Post
Old 15-05-09, 02:01 PM   #17
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR Marking Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Markers worked on AR04,05,06 and 08. (Couldn't make 07).

Dedicated markers work even better. Especially if carefully selected. There are a few who marked 08 that in my opinion just used it as an excuse to ride like an idiot. I don't think anyone should volunteer; everyone should wait to be asked if they wish to participate. So long as you have markers who know what they are doing, it is completely irrelevant if they have ever run the route before or not. There are plenty of people involved with the organisation this year to find enough people they consider have the skills required to participate.
There is only one "problem" I see with this.

As mentioned, some people see the Markers as being "special" and getting treated differently.

So if a group or people that ride regularly together end up getting chosen for just that reason - ie they know each others capabilities, then there are going to be people complaining about cliques ad the like.

To my mind being a marker is not a great thing, you have to stop, maybe in the middle of a VERY enjoyable bit of riding, then wait at the side of the road for however long until the TEC appears, then you are under pressure to get to the front before the next x junctions are passed, in a safe and considerate manner.

I can appreciate why Grinch has said "thanks but no thanks" already this year.

Again, Supervox has planned the route, he probably already knows how many markers he needs, and I am sure he has a number of people picked out for that, and if he's coming up short, will ask them in turn for their recommendations.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote