View Single Post
Old 01-05-18, 04:21 PM   #32
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
If you are on a bike, being chased by an irate driver, it is very difficult to get yourself into a safe position unless you have the power to boot it and literally run away. You cannot safely slow down because they will then catch you.

The only other option is to let them get close, then quickly change lanes and hammer the brakes and let them fly past, but then what? They can stop as well.....

I do not see how either of them could have "stopped that situation in an instant"? Sure, if he had been on a Busa and it was dry and clear, he would be long gone, but in the circumstances I suspect he was trapped.

I really feel like you are trying to attribute some blame to the biker, when he was the more vulnerable one who ended up dead.

I know where you are coming from, trying to understand exactly what happened so maybe it wont ever happen to you, and that is exactly what I do whenever I see footage of an accident.

But, making guesses and then concluding the biker was in some way to blame, oversteps the mark in my book.

The driver was a scroat who did everything he could to avoid justice, he did many things wrong and deserved everything he got, and more.
I'd be happy to discuss tactical options and defensive riding if you like, and it sounds as if you've already pretty much identified what the options are. Plenty of suggestion on here about giving it large and accelerating away, but firstly I don't think he had that option and secondly all that does is increase the risk and potential consequences, not reduce it. It might work in heavy traffic where you can get through cleanly without great speed but I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a dark wet motorway, whatever you are riding. That as you say leaves the option of slowing, which is easily done, right down to a standstill on the hard shoulder if necessary. This leaves you the ultimate option of getting away from your bike and the carriageway and into a position where he can't get anywhere near you. Nine times out of ten slowing and withdrawing yourself from the situation is all that is needed, the other party goes on their way satisfied with their "victory" and you live to fight another day. The problem is egos get in the way of common sense, the very lack of thought that got you into the situation prevents you from getting out if it.

From experience I can tell you that knocking somebody off a motorcycle is incredibly easy to do, and I should know because I've done it numerous times. It's almost as easy to push them into falling off themselves if you've got the time and space to do it.
I've also been on the other end of that shoe and had quite determined villains trying to knock me off. You will never win if you stay anywhere near them, it's only a question of time.

Oh and stop trying to suggest I'm laying blame against the motorcyclist. Blame is for fools and those trying to make money. I'm only interested in cause and how incidents can be prevented. Suggesting someone cannot be involved in the cause of an incident or have contributed to it's prevention simply because they subsequently became the victim is just plain daft. You can stay on your bandwagon if you want but just ask yourself what it will achieve?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote