View Single Post
Old 26-02-18, 01:02 AM   #192
TicklinJock

Default Re: Test ride challenge

Nice review Yokohama.
I went for a test ride on the XSR900 back in September. Hook, line and sinker springs to mind. Ergonomics are spot on for me. Traded my SV the following week, and I had six weeks on it before the gritters came out and the XSR went into hibernation. Four months now, and counting. Looking forward to spring.
First thing I added was extensions to the mirrors, so I could see past my elbows.
Still with the stock exhaust and it does sound whiney at low revs, then as the revs increase the whine becomes a growl, and if you feel the need to take it into the top third, it howls. I notice a cheeky burble on the overrun.
I think the bigger tyres on the XSR make it less twitchy on loose surfaces than my SV, but cornering speeds are similar.
My SV had a 17 litre tank and the XSR is only 13 litres, so range is less. This would have been a deal breaker for me a few years ago, but many rural fuel stations are now doing a 24hr card payment pump.
The manual says "do not blip the throttle when down-shifting" as it can cause the slipper clutch to disconnect. It's a hard habit to break.
I haven't tried the electronic modes yet. Left them in standard to get used to the bike first.
[IMG]P1010382 by ticklinjock - the plough, on Flickr[/IMG]
TicklinJock is offline   Reply With Quote