View Single Post
Old 15-05-18, 10:14 PM   #5758
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

10,500 miles, so I'm not ridiculously over.

Have you ever wondered how service frequencies are determined? Suzuki base theirs on a research paper carried out in America on the frequency of mechanical failure of bikes on the public roads. That research was completed 42 years ago. Is known as 'according to EPA regulations." The schedules do not reflect the advances of the last 42 years.

Book maintenance schedules are always too frequent. It's a butt covering exercise by the people who write them. I'm a fan of monitoring condition and maintaining only when needed.

We all know it. Who changes the radiator hoses every 4 years? Why do you fit a Scottoiler?

I've done probably 260,000 miles on various SVs and rarely find any particles in the oil when it is changed and I check it for sediment out of the filter when it does get changed and also for appearance in bright light. Never had a valve out of tolerance either, so gave up on that.
Maintenance induced failure (it really is a thing) is seen too frequently. (They did the service and now it doesn't work properly)

Conversely the manual won't tell you the clutch lifter will fail at around 65,000 miles, or the coils at about 90k.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote