View Single Post
Old 13-03-19, 02:36 PM   #1499
Othen

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

I adjusted the brake light switch on my K6 yesterday - an easy enough job that took 5 minutes, but while I was at it I noticed that a layer of crud had accumulated behind the footrest hangers, so I thought I'd take them off and have a good spring clean behind. An easy job I hear you say, and it was until I came to the two allen bolts that attach the master cylinder. The bolt heads seem to be made of brie - and it looked like someone had tried to remove them previously - anyway, the internal hexagons both rounded off... an hour trying to chisel the bolts out bore no fruit, so I ended up drilling the heads off both bolts, which got the assembly apart.

I now had the problem of removing two short steel studs from the aluminium body of the master cylinder - but at least I could get it in the vice on the workbench. One had quite a long stub, so I managed to weld a nut to the top and eventually (after a bit of fire and water and a lot of penetrating oil) it screwed out, but boy was it tight! The other one is still soaking in penetrating oil, I'll try cutting a notch in the top of the stud so I can use a screwdriver on it.

Every time I think I have this bike beaten it fights back!

Alan