View Single Post
Old 13-03-19, 03:18 PM   #1500
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The bolt heads seem to be made of brie - and it looked like someone had tried to remove them previously - anyway, the internal hexagons both rounded off... an hour trying to chisel the bolts out bore no fruit, so I ended up drilling the heads off both bolts, which got the assembly apart.
I learned the hard way many years ago never to skimp on tool quality - not only are the cheap allen keys made of mild steel and round off easily but they are very often not accurate on their size, and have rounded instead of fairly sharp corners anyway - so they will not fit very well. Same with spanners, and I also try to get full hex sockets as well to give max grip on the bolt head, but if the bolt is gonna shear off anyway because its made of cheese metal the full hex won't help - but at least it stops corners of bolt head rounding off...

Good tools will last a lifetime anyway with a moderate amount of care ( eg. not using a ratchet as a hammer ) and save much more than their purchase price.. win-win

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote