View Single Post
Old 22-03-21, 08:31 PM   #179
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
What will battery swapping achieve in terms of time? Drive into the swap bay, jack up car, remove battery pack by means of an operative, fit new pack, diagnostics to make sure it works with the car, leave.... Probably more than the 5 minutes folks are looking for?

How long before these battery swapping facilities are as ubiquitous as petrol stations? Or charging stations come to that? (There are more charging stations than petrol stations now in the UK)

I don't see any mainstream manufacturer going down this road, as there is no infrastructure to support it. VAG/Mercedes/Kia/Hyundai have all put their shoulders behind Ionity. Tesla has the Supercharging network. Shell/BP/Esso are rolling out high speed chargers. I think faster charging will be the way forward for road tripping and overnight / destination / workplace charging taking care of daily commuting and shopping miles.
If they were accessible for a quick, tooless change (but then theft would be a mega problem) and didn't weight a ton I actually think it's a good idea ... at least until instant charge is a thing. Or even as a backup option in an emergency like the Nokia days.

I imagine the batteries are monsters though, unless they introduce a supplementary battery for the above emergency purposes.

More importantly - what did ye get?!