Thread: Cooling fan
View Single Post
Old 23-07-18, 12:03 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cooling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I still disagree.I've just checked my coolant level in the Rad and it was low so no coolant has been drawn back in.

Car cooling systems have two radiators and are sealed from the atmosphere including the Expansion bottle.
Maybe because you have an air gap in the rad it is acting as a mini-expansion vessel, and unless your bike gets really hot (which it shouldn't in UK anyway) the rad is not using the expansion expansion bottle the way it is designed to. I have never had a car with a pressurised expansion tank, they are just a regular moulded polyethelyne bottle with a flimsy screw on cap with an air hole in it. I have never had a car with with two engine cooling radiators either (one of mine is for aircon) - although I did have DRZ400SM with the engine cooling radiator split into two, one each side of engine.

The pressurised bottles on cars are normally level with top of rad and are called header tanks rather than expansion bottle and they don't have a pressure cap on the rad the pressure cap is on the header tank, where the coolant gets topped up, and any boil over coolant will get shunted through a pipe down under the car. IMHO this is a bad design anyway, I drive Honda cars and the expansion bottle and cooling system is the same as my AL7, with an 'open to air' expansion tank and the pressure cap on the radiator, but coolant is topped up via rad cap (although I have never had to top any of my Honda cars up).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-07-18 at 12:14 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote