View Single Post
Old 05-05-12, 07:30 PM   #9
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Re: Travelling with Camera Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
She's also got one of these that goes inside a big handbag so it's not obvious she's a tourist carrying a load of expensive stuff round
I'm usually taking too much stuff for one of those.

Normally I take a Lowepro Fastpack 350 which has room for a body and 4 or 5 lenses plus my netbook. I also wear a coat with big pockets. If I see them weighing hand luggage at check in I'll stuff a couple of nice heavy lenses in my pockets and carry the netbook separately.

If you need more than that you need to check which flight has the most restrictive cabin luggage size. Then get a bright yellow Peli case just smaller than that size with dividers. Also pack a couple of TSA approved padlocks and a cable tie.

If the check in staff are being difficult, ask to take it to the door of the plane and get it back at the door when you land. Then secure it with a cable tie and two padlocks. The TSA approved padlocks are pretty crap but in the event of a problem your insurers will ask whether it was locked. The cable tie is there to show you whether it has been opened.

Finally, if you've got expensive gear make sure it's itemised and listed as 'all risks' on your home insurance. But, if you're planning to use it for professional purposes you'll probably need to insure it separately.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Last edited by keith_d; 05-05-12 at 07:43 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote