View Single Post
Old 22-05-07, 08:38 AM   #8
slark01

Default Re: Riding with one eye!

Thank you for your thoughts
It's hard to explain to people how difficult it is at times to have only one eye and being restrcted to what you can do.
Before I decided to get a full licence I had a 2 year stint on a 125 and it gave me an idea of what it was like ( not the same as a 650 I know ). I cannot drive a car as it feels too big for me also judging width and distance is awful.
I also have to be careful when choosing a helmet as peripheral vision is impared a great deal, but I have compensated by adjusting my mirrors accordingly, i'm also able to turn my head a lot further to the left than normal which helps greatly for changing lanes etc.
I'm now 37 and have kinda developed a 6th sense of anything being on my left regardless of whether i'm stood still or on my bike and this has helped me out with some idiots trying to undertake me when i've wanted to move to the left.
I'm a confident rider but would still love to be able to feel more confident, I know this is usually done by more experience but getting advice from people who is in similiar position will help a lot.
Last sunday when I went for a ride I was being overtaken by bikers on roads which I know wasn't too risking, while I was staying behind cars. This made me feel kinda like I was a complete beginner.
Finally it comes down to being safe rather than being sorry, accidents will happen but if I personally can reduce the risk even slightly that will make me happy and the wife too.