View Single Post
Old 06-03-19, 10:33 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric/Mechanical gremlins?

All good advice and....

Check for corrosion on the fuses and their holders.Pull apart all the Electrical connectors and clean Spray with Isopropanol Contact cleaner,

https://www.toolstation.com/contact-...xoC_VkQAvD_BwE

And I use a small screwdriver with a bit of grit paper wrapped around the end and gently work it in and out of the female sides and again gently on the male spades/pins to remove corrosion then blast with Carb/Brake cleaner.Let this evaporate and then apply the Contact cleaner.I also treat all mine after this with ACF50 both inside connectors and the lead areas going into them

This is one area of Motorcycle Maintenance often overlooked but any Roadside breakdown company will tell you that over 80% of call-outs are Electrical faults and not Mechanical.Motorcycles,by their nature,are more prone to be affected by moisture and contaminants in the air as they are more exposed to the elements than automobiles and over time this causes corrosion of the Electrical contacts.

Also Electrical contacts benefit from regular use as the Current passing through actually slows down corrosion as does some small amounts of heat they may generate to stop moisture sitting on them.

Cleaning and treating every connector including Bulb Holders was one of the first jobs I did on my SV650 when I got it and I repeat every two years.This also includes the Handlebar Controls.

PS
The big Green connector on mine under the tank near the Headstock had quite a bit of corrosion in it so was a breakdown waiting to happen.I've seen several posts about this connector on various forums.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 06-03-19 at 10:42 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote