View Single Post
Old 16-09-09, 11:38 PM   #12
-Ralph-

Default Re: Another unmarked police vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Lots of useful stuff...
Thanks for all that mate.

Is 2/10th mile the distance that you need to measure speed over for a conviction?

The thread itself seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm not so convinced now it's as useful as we thought it would be, but 2 or 3 of us asked for it, Derbybiker took the trouble to sticky it, and I think it still has some use for me and the others that contribute to (not just read) it, so I'll maintain the OP as much as I can until the Madlanders say they don't want it anymore (not going to bother asking folk to delete posts anymore though, I think I'm onto a looser with that one ).

As for if you'd remember the cars, it's amazing what information the grey matter can retain, then dig up again when it needs it, I will definitely recognise the Impreza's, the S80 or the R32 if I see them, but that's because I've seen them before. The reason I say I'm not convinced the thread's as useful as I thought is because I'm pretty sure I won't remember the others that I haven't seen.

I personally keep tabs on bridges, laybys, junctions and the traffic in my mirrors when the roads running freely enough to get a speed on. If I'm travelling at a faster speed than the traffic around me, and anyone else is keeping up, or pulling out behind me and gaining on me, I immediately want to know who they are and why they are also going quicker than the traffic around them, and often back off until I've had them close enough for a good look. It's a system that's served me well for the last 17 years, but not nearly as relevant as it used to be because there are less police patrol vehicles on the road, nowadays it's more yellow boxes and transit vans that your watching for

The reason I thought the thread may be useful is that those unmarked vehicles that I've seen, I've committed to memory in order that I can write on here when I get home, then if I come across them on the road, I won't need to get them close enough for a good look, I'll know straight away who they are. I hope the others who contribute will be the same with the stuff they see, but for those just reading, I think your right, it's not much use.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-09-09 at 11:45 PM.