View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 04:25 PM   #4
Othen

Default Re: SV650 K6/K3 Radiator

The bike runs and rides, has been used as a daily commuter but has been a bit neglected of late. It is not worth renovating a bike like this due to its low value, but I'm going to tidy it up a bit. Jobs to do:

a. The first owner (I'm the second) had changed the radiator for a Chinese copy some years ago (I don't know why), the fixing lugs on the replacement all sheared so it has been held on with zip ties for years, which works but is not really acceptable. I've bought a new (used) radiator for £40 - which is in good condition but I've noticed (after lots of research) it is for a K3 rather than a K6, and so has a different filler arrangement. The supplying company offered to take a return but didn't have a K4-K6 item in stock, so I've bought a few extra bits (for about £15) to convert the bike to use the good K3 item. It should all work - and is part of the fun of a project bike.

When I fit the radiator I'll complete the engine service - the plugs are a bit difficult to get to so it will be sensible to change them with the radiator off the bike. I changed the air filter yesterday (took 5 minutes and cost a tenner), and it runs much better now, which is hardly surprising when you look at the state of the old one:

b. The disc rotors are very thin indeed - I think the previous owner must have kicked the MoT tester's dog and broken his white stick to get that passed. I've bought a complete set of three trendy wavy ones with a new pads for £155 delivered (which is a bargain). I know they will be Chinese sourced copies at that price, but look pretty cool. I was going to fit them yesterday but came across a problem: the SV doesn't have a centre stand or much of a frame and so I couldn't find any way of jacking the front wheel. I've ordered a front wheel paddock stand which should solve the problem and I'll get the trendy brakes fitted next week. Whilst the front wheel is out I'll take the opportunity to give the fork lowers a coat of silver Hammerite smooth.

c. The clutch lever had been broken and repaired (pop rivets and tape). The new one cost £4.95 delivered and took a minute or so to fit. I sort of wonder why the previous owner didn't just replace it when it broke years ago ...

d. The grab rail was missing - which made it hard to manoeuvre around the garages. A used one was sourced for a tenner and sprayed with an aerosol can from Poundland - it looks fine.

Everything else seems fine on the bike. It starts and runs well (it has a nice Fuel exhaust - I've re-fitted the baffle I found in the box of bits, which keeps the neighbours a bit happier), handles fine (good Bridgestone tyres and taper roller bearing in the steering head) and looks okay for a 13 year old (it just needs a bucket of Gunk around the engine).

I'll get those little jobs done in the next few weeks in time to insure it in April (I'll add it to the Triumph's insurance when it comes up for renewal) and enjoy it a bit in the summer. I'll post some photos when it is done, in the meantime here is a video of it running.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ask6E_1jz4xIuj60za2YH0_xwwBc

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-02-19 at 10:19 AM.