Thread: Electric Cars
View Single Post
Old 02-08-17, 10:32 AM   #41
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Cars

I've worked in the engine design/development industry for 40yrs. The technical issues can be sorted, the technology is still very young but is progressing rapidly. 23yrs away is an awful long time.

Some foreign folk made statements (Volvo, Macron etc) so someone in Westminster thought they better come up with something.

The real problem we have, as in all aspects of life, is that politicians get involved in making sweeping decisions with little or no strategic planning behind it and absolutely no ability to implement tactical solutions. Look at their track record. Brexit, no-one will vote for that, Trump, no-one will vote for him, General Election to get the Tories a bigger majority, invoke Article 50 without the need for an Act of Parliament to authorise it, challenge the first Court's decision on that, introduce charges for industrial tribunals, etc. They come up with these sweeping idealistic statements knowing full well that they are totally meaningless.

Personally I won't lose any sleep over this half-baked press announcement, which is pure sound-bite. Never mind what might happen in 23yrs time, I'd rather a few politicians actually got their backsides in gear regarding Brexit, the most immediate and potentially disastrous issue concerning the UK at the moment. Just so many things to address, where do we start? As Barnier said, it would be very helpful if Davis et al knew what they actually want?

All we need is for an international EV charging standard to be established, and the UK decides on the three pin plug instead.