Thread: Electric Cars
View Single Post
Old 02-08-17, 01:19 PM   #48
svrich_02

Default Re: Electric Cars

Hi, thought I join the discussion as I've got 2 electric cars, Zoe's. Yep we lease the batteries from Renault for £69 a month. For me and the my missus it suits what we need them for, we mainly charge our Zoe's at home once a week and that does me for dropping kids at school and getting to work and back, plus what ever I need to do over the weekends.

I'm getting roughly 110 to 115 miles from a single charge, which drops to around 80 in winter but then the batteries feel the cold.

I understand people's concerns on the lease being quite expensive but leasing does include breakdown, flat tyres etc and, yes, they'll pick you up if you run out of charge and take you to the nearest charging point. Also if the battery health drops to less than 70% they have to replace it.

The longest I've travelled was a 256 mile round trip to Richmond in Yorkshire, which used 4 (2 there and 2 back) motorway stops and cost me the grand total of £24.

Motorway charging isn't too bad, as they have the rapid chargers they can get you back up to nearly full in 30 minutes, so by the time you've stretched your legs and gone in for a drink it's nearly done. They've since changed their pricing structure so its a £3 connection fee and then 17p a unit. My last charge came to £4.80 to get me a full battery, so over 100 miles.

Running costs are small. 1st and 2nd services cost £82 each. The third is the expensive one LOL as they have to replace the 12V battery so comes in around £130.

We've not even noticed a massive hike in our home electric bills. Family of 4 with 2 electric cars and our monthly electric bill is £66 a month. We pay no vehicle tax and obviously no MOT as they're under 3 years old.

I know they're not for everyone and each situation is different but we did make savings switching to electric and must say enjoy having them.

Happy to answer any questions

Last edited by svrich_02; 02-08-17 at 01:21 PM.