Thread: Bike Sat Nav
View Single Post
Old 10-09-17, 06:24 PM   #7
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Sat Nav

I use a tomtomr rider 400 with a yoke based ram mount connected to Bluetooth headset for long rides/unknown areas.

If it's reasonably local or I have a rough idea of where I'm going I use Google maps on the phone with my headphones.

Not used a Garmin for a while but from what I remember I prefer the TomTom interface. The rider has option for "plan a thrill" so you can set a random (or not) destination and choose 3 levels of twisty and hilliness and it'll work out a less direct but fun route. Not sure if they're still doing the offer but when I purchased mine a year or so back I got a lifetime membership to tyre so can do route planning on the PC.

Something to consider if you're looking at the top 2 is whether or not you'd want to be able to listen to music.

You can hook up your phone for traffic and calls via the TomTom's but it won't do tunes whereas I believe that the Garmin does.

Pros of bike specific Vs phone or car units is that they work, well, in pretty much every way. The mounts, power, glove use, glare etc.

Cons, generally way more than a car unit equivalent.

Also may be worth checking what's covered by your insurance as "accessories". You have an actual sat nav unit it may be covered where a phone may not.

Oh and as the last poster mentioned, I find the refresh rate much better than car units and my phone. As you can be moving with a reasonable pace, not top end but just acceleration as well, I have previously out paced car units and my phone but the rider has been faultless.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by PyroUK; 10-09-17 at 06:27 PM.
PyroUK is offline   Reply With Quote