View Single Post
Old 23-02-10, 03:03 PM   #61
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Photo Comp - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
wondering if anyone have good recommendations for a indoor lens , for photographing people. as I'm not a fan of flashing (its to fit a Canon 20D)

is this 50mm f1.8 ok?
I have a canon EF 50mm f1.8. It's a plastic built lens (including mount) with a fairly slow and noisy focusing motor (compared to USM, fine in isolation). It also suffers a bit of CA when wide open (f1.. However, for under £100 it lets you take nice pictures in low light. It gets sharper when stopped down a little (f2.2 or so and up). I'd say the 1.4 is probably a better bit of glass, but it's over 3 times the price!

I like mine, and often use it to hand round at parties on the front of the camera, though on a crop body like the 20d, it could do with being a little wider for that purpose. I'll send you a link to some of my photos with it on FB.

In terms of IS VS wide apature, both help you take clear shots in low light, but IS doesn't help get your shutter speed up, so people moving are still blurry. For a portrait lens (the 50mm makes a lovely portrait lens) it's also nice to be able to throw the background out of focus, and F2.8 and below help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
It's a Sigma 105mm f2.8. I know you aren't going to pizza but let me know next time I'm likely to see you and I will bring it along.
Oooh, well I'll let you know when I'm next being sociable

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 23-02-10 at 03:06 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote