View Single Post
Old 24-01-14, 10:39 AM   #2073
ClunkintheUK

Default Re: INTERESTING FACT OF THE DAY

They did a study in 2002/3 (I think, my google fu is not up to it at the moment) sending drivers around a closed track, comparing the effects of moderate and high levels of intoxication with various substances, alcohol, weed, speed etc. The sober driver came out best overall, then the moderate weed driver was a very close second best. They did all the manouvers correctly, they were just a bit slow. they were only marked down as their slow driving would infuriate other drivers thus increasing the likelihood of accidents.

Even moderate (at the limit I think) alcohol was pretty bad and high alcohol was one of the worst, most of the stimulant drugs drove better.

People dying early is profitable for the government, in fact people not dying as early as they used to is a major problem (fiscally speaking) for the government. Even if you account for say £100,000 of treatment for a cancer patient, it is still profitable, because they do not need to pay for their pension. The NHS figures estimate £30,000, or about 6 years of pension payments.