View Single Post
Old 05-09-10, 09:22 AM   #1
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Bar conversion with pics

Who knew it would take so long? The main difficulty was the switch gear and throttle cables. Sadly my local store was out of stock of Throttle cables, so we have made do for now and will be picking up new ones on Wednesday.

So this was the start.
P5233302 by Jayney, on Flickr

Which lead quickly to this.

sy146 by Jayney, on Flickr

DSC09031 by Jayney, on Flickr

DSC09034 by Jayney, on Flickr

Then this part just jumped on all by itself.

DSC09035 by Jayney, on Flickr

Nearly ready to ride. Just the front brake lines to sort out.

DSC09054 by Jayney, on Flickr

The brake lines took so long to make and seal, that it got dark. However, the front now has two charming lines of steal braided raciness with stainless fittings. Slight imperfections at the calliper caused seepage, but once located, was quickly sorted out.

The obvious question should be "how does it ride Miss Flakes?"

Well, a quick spin around the block showed up a major change, it feels like new bike, the handle bar is so comfortable, the steering feels so much easier and controlling the bike feels great. The limitations of the steering lock are now what stops me turning around in our narrow road, not trying to balance on clip ons. The risers are some what higher than most people fit and a little more backward leaning, this has given the bike a touring bike feel to it, with out harming the steering. She is still snappy and precise.

If I had to do it again, I would allow a longer amount of time for brake lines or have them made up, rather than fiddling with them myself. I would also have plenty of spare wire ready to rewire Switch gear, this is a job that I have to do today. The cables are too short as standard, but do work to a degree, so will have a lot of fun fitting them next week!

As an experiment though, it has been a complete success. I am very happy with the results and can't wait to take the bike for a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 06-08-16 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Photos failed again, now replaced as best as I could.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote