View Single Post
Old 20-11-17, 12:12 AM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO - bike security for public car park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Finn View Post
Xena does nice and loud alarmed disk locks. The main point is to make your bike more difficult to nick than the bike next to it. All depends what is there at the same time.
I got a Xena alarm disc lock for when I go camping abroad, some campsites are being targeted by opportunist thieves and I wanted something to warn me of tampering rather than taking of the bike. I found the Xena to be very flaky, it would go off unprovoked and to stop it you had to unlock the thing, not very campsite friendly, so I ended up taking the battery out.
I since fitted a really cheap motion sensitive alarm (not immobiliser) off ebay (around £13) which is remote controlled, 3 levels of sensitivity, and so far has been reliable (no false trips), worth every penny. I also use big "FO" alarm warning signs dangling from the handlebars, might put off the casual scrote.
If you're not going to be within shouting distance of the bike an alarm is of little or no use and stands a good chance of annoying folk when it goes off accidentally. No-one in their right mind is going to confront a gang throwing a bike into a van.