View Single Post
Old 06-06-16, 04:47 PM   #417
rowdy

Default Re: Top Gear is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
I dont think Evans nor Le blanc know their Focus from their Golfs nor have any connection to the viewers.
Its a V blah with a x litre engine that goes quickly ..look wheeee. Now everyone who do you prefer.. whayayeee.
Neither chat show, quiz show or factual programming. It has that feeling of a childrens program hosted by an entertainer at holiday camp to a crowd from a working mens club. It needs presenters that know real cars and not just showing off their ability to buy them at the license payers expense
Pretty dire and a waste of a show. Is that a bit harsh?
Before I read the article I posted earlier in the thread, I would have said yes, perhaps a little bit harsh. After all, Evans is only trying to keep what some might say is a national, international even, treasure alive.

But when Evans goes on to attack his critics, and call them clueless and haters etc, then he lines himself up for all he gets IMO.

I think a lot of viewers are, or were, prepared to give it a chance. But it was always going to be a tough act to follow. The general consensus is that Matt is the better of the two. I'm inclined to agree, I think he gets a bit more of what the show is, or was about. His first solo piece last week had the feel of something that Hammond, and to a lesser extent May might create.

Unfortunately, Chris comes across as a less natural fit. Too shouty and too annoying. His introduction of the stig for example is hammed right up and embarrassing, and all he seems to do when testing a car is scream, shout or laugh, which anyone could replicate. I think the people he had a pop at, the clueless, are the people the programme is aimed at and therefore have actually more of a clue than his own biased view of his product. Just because he has a collection of Ferraris that look like they have come off a Miami Vice studio set, doesn't make him more qualified than the public that pay for and watch Top Gear to say if it's any good or not.

I think a fair analogy of the programme and Chris' comments and opinion would be akin to say, someone that makes and sells the Ford Focus. The prospective customer saying, "well, I had a Ferrari before, so this Focus . . . it just isn't as good, is it"
"But we sell more of these Focus' than Ferrari does, FACT" etc. . . .
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote