View Single Post
Old 16-09-18, 08:46 AM   #6321
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

The joys of homeownership. This is going to sound ungrateful; I have inherited my Dad's house which is great, I bought my first house when I was 22 and was a homeowner until I lost my job in the US in 2009. So, it feels good to be back owning a home until I move a cabinet and find damp which is one of those (many) things that I don't feel qualified to tackle. It looks like it's rising, the damp course appears to be intact but it roughly lines up with a porch and the seal around that door needs attention, but I'm guessing.

Now, where's the insurance policy I only received two weeks ago...

Did I mention if I switch off the outside security light which is, inexplicably , plugged into a 13A socket upstairs, it blows the circuit breaker for the rest of the outlets. Dad knew about that, got an electrician who said: "I know your ring main is wrong but I can't figure out why!" (that was 15 years ago). As a testament to the original owner, he proudly demonstrated a cooker hood he'd fitted - only he hadn't connected it to the flue, it just vented straight back into the kitchen.

So, thanks Dad, I think.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote