View Single Post
Old 15-10-07, 09:23 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Default Re: Advanced riding – braking

I think I see where you're coming from. Either you're questioning why it's in the advanced section as it really should be in the basic section, or you're thinking that the advanced section should have techniques for braking mid corner?

I suppose whether you're advanced or novice you're always going to want to aim to brake in a straight line where possible, but as you gain experience you begin to get a feel for how much braking can be applied up to the apex and the effect braking whilst banked over has on the bike and the geometry. Trouble is that all that can only really be taught by experience, you can throw some general pointers in there like "really try not to", and "if you have to, make it soft and smooth, perhaps try back a bit more than front" etc. But experience will teach you braking limits.

Suppose the other thing to mention is that these books tend not to be aimed at racing, where you and I tend to come from (whether that be on track, or occasionally ahem, on the Queen's highway), the aim in racing is to get round the corner as fast as possible, and if you think that by late braking up to the apex you'll stand a 90% chance of keeping it rubber side down you'll probably take those odds. Books geared to rapid road progression however are always going to aim for a 99.9% (or higher) chance of making it round a corner.