View Single Post
Old 02-05-18, 11:44 AM   #36
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

When I watched this, I thought there for the grace of your god go all of us. Most if not all experienced bikers will have at some time in their lives experienced a motorist who takes exception to something we do. I remember one Friday about 2pm sat in a car in a queue near Russell Square as I was fighting my way home from a meeting in Holborn. In front of me sat at a temporary red light was a transit van. As a courier passed me on the outside and tried to pass the van an arm came out with what looked like a piece of wood and gave him a great whack. Bike/rider ended up in a heap.
The rider gets up and attempts to remonstrate with the driver who I can hear saying I have had enough of you lot, it is time you waited in the queues like the rest of us! Of course the rider wasn't interested, and attempted to get the driver out of the locked door and eventually resorted to picking up a length of piping (guess that was why the temp lights) and attacked the van. Along come plod who are not interested in the rights/wrongs and drag the two to the side of the road for a talking to, and shift his van so we can continue on our way.
But may times filtering, have I seen drivers who do see me approach and for every 10 that make room for me, 1 will try to stop me!
So we know you do not need to do anything, if a driver is in a bad mood and the red mist descends there does not need to be provocation, it is then how to safely diffuse the situation. Assuming he is not directly behind, Bikes will generally stop more efficiently than cars. So grab a big handful and let him get on his way. Not a good idea to swing across his path to head for the hard shoulder though!

These days I ride with a camera for my own protection should I have a coming together with a numpty. But ideally the numpties should already have been identified and re-educated. But when you read of drivers with 30+ convictions flouting bans/insurance etc. Sometimes they need to be locked up for the safety of other road users, not given another meaningless ban.

Last edited by timwilky; 02-05-18 at 11:47 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote