View Single Post
Old 07-05-18, 09:26 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Unnecessary use of Stinger on Bike?

There is so much BS associated with this story that it's hard to know where to begin. The officer wasn't even remotely engaged in stopping the traffic to allow "children and bikes" to cross the road so it's rather disappointing the senior officer chose to introduce that into her explanation of events, which she clearly did to distract from a rather inept deployment of a Stinger device. Clearly there are elements of every biker meet that are potentially going to endanger the public and spoil it for the majority and I don't doubt her master plan had provision in place to try and deal with them, and that may even have included the use of HOSTYDS (the proper name for a "Stinger") but I very much doubt they intended it to be used in the way it appears to have been against a solo motorcyclist.

Everything in that video suggest a poorly planned spontaneous deployment by an unprepared and unsupported officer, but that's not to say I blame him one bit for doing what he did. If you keep expecting officers to try and do a job with one hand tied behind their back this is exactly what happens. I'm surprised his management actually backed him up because the alternative possibility that he was actually following their plan is even more frightening!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote