View Single Post
Old 19-12-18, 01:55 PM   #157
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Arguments aside, this is something which may be of interest to some https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp
The suggestion there is that (as I suspected) we will need an ETIAS document, a green card for insurance, and international driving permits. Of course those who never travel out of the UK won't care about this.

I don't know how valid or correct some of the items are, though many topics do still contain rather speculative words like hope and intend. Never trust a government "intention".
One other aspect for retired UK nationals living in the EU is the state pension, something I looked into when I was contemplating living abroad. The current regs state that while the UK is a member of the EEA then UK citizens can "export" their state pension and it will "uprate" (i.e. get annual increases) the same as if the person lived (resident/domiciled) in the UK. Those moving to non-EU states don't necessarily get the uprate.
The government issued a statement some long time ago that they had "no intention" of changing this, but of course that doesn't mean they won't. It could be a fairly significant aspect of UK sate pension values for those retired and living in an EU country, even at 2.5% annual increase it could mean after 10yrs your pension would have increased almost 30%, which as yet is not guaranteed to be the case. My guess is they could end up applying cut-off dates or similar, so anyone moving or claiming the state pension after 29/03/19 may possibly have different rules to anyone already in receipt (it's all up in the air at present). Again, some UK folk probably won't care about this aspect.