View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 11:01 AM   #1
MiniMatt

Default Debt collection agencies

Persistent buggers aren't they?

About 10 years ago I had an insurance policy with MCE. I cancelled it half way through as bike was written off/stolen/can't remember. All fine. Except about a year (really, a year) later, they write to me and say "by the way, you owe us £80". "Really, why's that then?" I respond. "You owe us £80" they reply, no explanation.

And since then I've had a succession of debt collection agencies sending letters. The first letter I get, I naturally reply with "tell me why I owe this money, what payments were made, what payments were missed, what was the contract?". This request for information is ignored, followed only by more letters requesting money. Eventually I reply with "ok, let's take this to court, you're not able to tell me why I owe this money, so it's time we let the magistrate decide". And then they go silent. Until a year or so passes, and another debt collection agency gets the job and I go through the whole process all over again.

I've received the opening salvo from yet another agency (fourth, fifth one?) and will this time just go straight for the "let's take it to a magistrate, right here, right now", as I just fecked off with it.

If someone would actually tell me why I'm supposed to owe them any money I'd pay up. It's odd that the moment I say "ok, we're not getting anywhere here, I suggest we take it to the magistrates" they drop it.

It's been going on for TEN years now, anyway to force them to settle this one way or another or am I going to have to take them to court for harrasment?