View Single Post
Old 31-08-20, 07:50 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: What can be adjusted for a better fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
I’ve just done a weekend away covering over 400 miles and it’s not the comfiest ride.
...that may qualify as understatement of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Are they any other small people that have suffered like this and found solutions? I particularly wonder if it’s a female body geometry issue?
I'm male (ignore my ex-wife's comments) and 5'6 with an almost 29 inch inside leg and I had the same problem. I could feel the hard edges of the seat pan when riding and when coming to a stop and putting my foot down the pain was intense.

I, too, had the seat rebuilt:

This has actually raised the seat height slightly which means I cannot (comfortably) put both feet down together although some of my boots make it easier than others, putting both feet down is arguably bad practice anyway. A petite lady at my local bike haunt had thicker heels/soles put on her riding boots to alleviate this problem.

I fitted 25mm risers because I'm lazy and tend to rest my weight on the bars (I know, I know...you're not supposed to do that, it's yet another bad habit I've developed over many years). You'll need a new clutch cable if you go that route and gen 3 clutch cables are different from previous models - I used a DL650 cable but that introduces a different (aesthetic) issue. The other cables are ok but if you buy a riser that pulls the bars back as well as lifts them that may change - I didn't investigate that.

I think the original seat was designed by Torquemada but after my mods I've now done almost 30k miles in (near) comfort on the AL7.