View Single Post
Old 24-09-18, 11:43 AM   #7
Davemurphy007

Default Re: Bike venting fuel through filler cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Quote:
I wonder if the breather is rusted through in the tank, and somebody blocked it at the bottom to stop it leaking. Then heat from the engine could cause pressure force fuel through the hole in the breather and out the top ??
That sounds ominously possible especially if it is venting fuel when the tank is not full.However, it would also mean rainwater will be able to go the other way and contaminate the fuel in the tank. Any symptoms of that?
Potentially. I got to work last night and the bike was idling really badly, which it’s never done before. The bike isn’t stored exposed to the rain though and I’ve only ridden to/from work in light rain so far.

Is the breather pipe the little hole to the left side of the filler cap by any chance? I had the tank up at the start of the year to clean out the carbs (pilot jets) but was pretty careful putting everything back together. I’ll try and get some pictures of my tank and the fuel venting and i’ll get the tank up to investigate further when I finish my shifts toward the end of the week.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote