View Single Post
Old 11-11-13, 11:01 PM   #42
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Engineering career/general life advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

Alternatively, what are the odds of you being able to take over your current company in a few years and keep it going when the "old guard" retires, assuming they won't just wind it up and leave you all in the lurch. MD of a technical niche SME at 30 isn't a bad career ambition and would possibly tip the balance of your remuneration significantly in the above average direction!
Well that's what I'm thinking might be the case and I need to discuss with them. Don't think there's much chance of MD as the current deputy (MD's son) is late 40's so plenty years in him yet.

However will leave basically me and him who have any technical background left in the company in 6 years when the current MD+wife and our technical sales bloke have all retired.

Don't see any reason they would wind it up. Business has the building owned outright but significant value in the order book and contacts.

But fook knows how that applies to me. I can't invest in it, and what would it be worth book value? 2 million? Would there be any point owning 3/5ths of fook all of that when nobody else would buy the share. If you've got any knowledge of the permutations on that side of it I'd love to know more about it as I have no idea.