View Single Post
Old 08-08-20, 05:22 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen1 battery woes again!

The main problem with RR is that motorbike manufacture do not mount them in the airflow properly, especially on faired bikes - and RR lives or dies by airflow... If yours is tucked away behind a panel near to cylinder head or radiator it will always be overheating. Many Honda owners on CBR600 and VFR series have had to mount a 12volt computer fan on the heatsink to keep their RR alive. The big thing about the newer 'series' RR is that they are much more efficient and run cooler, as well as giving the stator coils a much easier life. Before I fit new electrex RR851 to my L7 I will do some tests with voltage regulation at different revs and heatsink temperature while bike is stationary - the bad thing about RR on L7 is that it is near front cylinder and close to radiator, almost touching the back of the cooling fan grill. I may even try to reposition RR, although I would need some longer cables ( may resort to soldering iron and heatshrink ). The heatsink on the RR851 has bigger fins than the original, and the heatsink is not painted ( any paint will act as a thermal insulator- even if black ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-08-20 at 06:09 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote