Thread: Slipping Clutch
View Single Post
Old 19-06-17, 12:42 PM   #1
synXero

Default Slipping Clutch

Afternoon all,

Still enjoying my K5S muchly but have begun to lose my rag with the slipping clutch, and want to fix it.

Symptoms / analysis / info:

- Clutch biting point is very very low, almost at full squeeze of clutch lever.
- Bike does not fail to disengage gear via clutch, i.e. it is not moving forward with clutch held in and in gear.
- At high RPMs or at lower RPMs in higher gears, it slips quite dramatically. Full throttle to redline is possible in 1st, maybe in 2nd, but not in 3rd or 4th without noticeable slip.
- Unsurprisingly, it is significantly more noticeable when riding 2-up. Clutch slip when 2-up becomes quite bad really. But maybe the passengers appreciate it
- I have not yet tried adjusting the clutch at either end of the cable. I am not perfectly sure how to do so.
- The bike is on 30,080 miles... and I fear previous owner was a bit of a wheelie merchant given condition of sprockets when bought. I have restored the bike quite a lot since I bought it and she's now in good condition, excluding this clutch. At any rate, I don't think it's impossible that the clutch plates will have excessive wear. Can I check, how DIY-friendly is it to do so...?
- I have done around 1200 miles on the bike at a guess. I do not think that the clutch slip has worsened. It's been the same since I got it. To begin with, I didn't mind, but now that the bike doesn't 'feel' that fast anymore, it's progressively more and more noticeable / relevant to riding style. I don't mean to sound like a ****--I just mean that, as normal, when I first got the bike it was seldom anywhere near the top end / high speed.

I'd appreciate a detailed how-to, or a systematic list of what to check in what order.

Thank you all in advance.

CCC.

Last edited by synXero; 19-06-17 at 12:43 PM.