View Single Post
Old 14-01-15, 09:42 AM   #7
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Default Re: Personal Injury Claim – Roughly what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
There is a set scale for the different types of injuries that is the bible for insurers but they will offer less in the hope that you will accept a lower amount. I would wait for their offer and then go to see your solicitor if you think it's too low. You should be able to get a no compensation/no pay deal with him.
It would be good to get a copy of that scale

The problem with no-win no-fee these days is that the lawyers take 50% of the claim value. They will say things like "if the value of the claim is lower than £500 then we will take nothing." and "if the work undertaken on the claim is less than 50% then we will only charge you for the work done + a bonus for success".

The reality if you read the fine print is that they will always over lawyer it to get past the £500 value, and the success bonus is 50%. Therefore they will always take 50% of the claim no matter what happens. The 50% includes any money they have claimed for you. So for example if you use them to claim for your vehicle write-off or for damaged clothing/helmet then they take 50% of that value.

In a case like mine where the insurers are not disputing liability and the injury is fairly straight forward it is better to go with a straight fee based approach. However you can guarantee that the lawyers will still over charge.

Therefore, so long as the offer made for the claim is greater than 50% of what I should get, I am better off. Equally I can use the threat of lawyers with them as the third party has to pay the first £500 so it will definitely cost them more than dealing with me directly.

Messy business using lawyers!

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote