View Single Post
Old 12-09-14, 02:17 PM   #85
SvNewbie

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
You have used the term "we" a few times, I don't remember ever being offered a choice to bail the banks, please correct me if I am wrong, I don't know of anyone being offered a choice. Therefore this was done without my approval. Had I been given the choice, I would have written my own terms and conditions. When "we" make a reasonable profit, how will I be able to claim my reward?, and how long must I be expected to contribute to a failing business model?
I'm all for a system that allows us to have near instantaneous referendums on a wide variety of issues. However, it would be an unmitigated disaster given the average Britain's apathy and wilful ignorance on political and economic issues. Anything that can't be distilled into a 500 word doomsday article by the DailyMail isn't worth thinking about.

Therefore we elect representatives to make these kind of decisions.

Honestly, other than getting worked up over the way the banks have been run, I'm not sure what you want. Had 'they' allowed the banks to fail we'd still have had a bill to pickup in the form of the government guarantees on savings, on top of that we'd have thousands of unemployed who worked for these banks, and possibly a run on the pound which could have taken the entire British economy down with it. Forcing us to accept money from the IMF as it did in the 1970s.